Remote · Part-Time (with Full-Time potential)
ISeeChange is a global community and unique global social media platform dedicated to connecting communities to each other to their changing environment. We mobilize residents to collect local stories, photos, and weather measurements to inform climate adaptation, infrastructure design, and community-driven storytelling. ISeeChange combines this real-time data with sensor networks and natural language processing to illustrate community-scale climate trends. Cities, engineers, insurers, and researchers use this data to build infrastructure, public safety and planning solutions that work best for communities. ISeeChange has been recognized by MIT Solve, Echoing Green, Grist 50 Fixers, and the UN’s Global Innovation Coalition for Change. With users in 118 countries and local pilots in New Orleans, New York, Boston and Miami, we are seeking to expand our team ahead of major growth in 2020.
We are looking for an AI scientist with creativity and drive to help our team envision and test new ways of organizing and synthesizing community-sourced, qualitative, weather and climate data. As a recent recipient of the McGovern Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the Betterment of Humanity award, ISC is actively seeking to expand our AI capacity with consultant projects and part-time hires.
To date, we have been building out our foundation to organize, classify, and analyze qualitative input from communities with natural language processing (NLP) tools. So far, we have begun to explore our current data in Amazon’s Lex, created a training data set and begun drafting our sensor data management schema.
In parallel, we are building a sensor data management tool to utilize machine learning when reviewing individual sensor data at scale with historical, regional and global data sets. This effort in data comparison will allow us to contextualize a community member’s reported lived experience with a rate of change.
The ISC team currently consists of a full-time director and 7 global, remote part-time team members. Our team is able to staff in a way that is flexible (remote, temporary, part-time) and encourages the best match in experience and values. Additionally, we see our current AI initiatives as a foundation for longer-term work with full-time potential.
What we have:
- A growing global web and mobile platform with an active community
- Opportunities to learn new technologies and take responsibility for company initiatives
- An international team of values-driven, friendly, and smart people (if we do say so ourselves) to work along-side
- A collective open mind to exploring new technologies and front-line opportunities
- A growing interest from social impact investors and incubators
- A dedication to have a positive impact in the world
- Competitive compensation, democratic team management and flexible working hours
What you have:
- Excellent communication, listening, and organization skills to work with teammates across disciplines, as well as across time-zones
- Talent for finding and testing appropriate datasets and data representation methods
- Data-science skills including predictive analytics, segmentation techniques, and deep learning
- A background in machine learning, with strong experience and expertise in Natural Language Processing systems.
- Exceptional awareness of libraries and techniques that improve NLP / NLU effectiveness
- Attention to detail
- Motivation to learn as you go and constantly help to improve our tools and process.
- Strong and thorough execution skills (you meet deadlines and help others meet theirs)
- A hunger for making a difference
We’d be super pumped, if you also have:
- Experience deploying models to production
- Experience with weather or climate data specifically
- Experience with social media platforms or social science methodologies
- Experience with Python, Node.js and/or PostgreSQL
Why work with ISeeChange?
We are bringing our authentic, creative, and innovative selves to take on a global challenge locally. We’re driven, but human- we know that our weaknesses and vulnerabilities matter just as much as our strengths. We engage each other with gratitude, transparency and love. We value community-sourced knowledge, “do no harm” revenue models, and impact-driven work to solve the climate crisis.
How to apply:
Please email email@example.com with a statement of interest, resume and an optional link to examples of your work or website.