Full time, remote
ISeeChange is a global civic tech data and engagement to help cities combat climate change. Our data platform empowers communities to report and track real-life climate change impact. Our AI-enabled models cross-reference community-reported events with real-time data, enabling sustainable, equitable and efficient infrastructure and public works projects in municipalities across North America. Cities, engineers, utilities, and researchers use our software as a service to site, design, build, and monitor climate solutions that work best for communities. ISeeChange is a social benefit corporation that has been recognized by Morgan Stanley, Verizon, TechStars, MIT Solve, Echoing Green, Grist 50 Fixers, the White House, NASA, and the UN’s Global Innovation Coalition for Change.
With growth of municipal, engineering, and utility clients we are seeking to expand our team and launch new products ahead of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act and the Inflation Reduction Act. We are looking to expand our team with an Backend Engineer who can both vision and execute how we leverage technology to adapt and mitigate climate change through infrastructure design and behavior change. This role will work with our company’s CEO, product, sales, and outreach teams to translate the vision of our company, client pain points, and resident generated data into insights that meet business goals with strategic engineering and design.
ISeeChange is developing scalable data processing pipelines powered by resident generated information, machine learning, and client needs. You will:
- Create a long term backend strategy based on company priorities and projects, and maintaining a high level understanding of all technologies used, and systems supported by the team.
- Design, build and maintain API’s, services and systems across our platform
- Improve engineering standards, tooling and processes
- Make sure our core infrastructure and technology can grow, change and scale painlessly
- Be available for on call support for server outages
- Manage, update, and document our database, APIs and cloud infrastructure
- Develop and maintain security access protocols on back-end systems
- Assisting the Data Science team to envision integration and communication from the backend database to a new data server for modeling and predictive analytics.
- Measure performance, keeping a close pulse on client stakeholders, anticipating bottlenecks, making tradeoffs, and taking acceptable risks.
- Ensure the team’s technical and architectural decisions are consistent with company strategy and goals.
- Design and develop new features, algorithms, data processing operations, benchmarks and tests in the context of both client services and our user community.
- Provide high quality code reviews that help colleagues learn and improve.
- Research new technologies, make thoughtful recommendations, and clearly communicate trade-offs of adoption.
- Occasionally mentor and supervise backend contractors if needed to meet feature development deadlines
- Proficiency in NodeJS (Express) and TypeScript
- Proficiency working with & maintaining PostgreSQL databases
- Experience designing and building REST API’s
- Experience with AWS and Kubernetes
- Firm grasp of test-driven development and test automation
- Excellent communication, listening, and organization skills to work with teammates across disciplines, as well as across time-zones.
- Timeliness in meetings and active listening in collaborative sessions (which may be for other teammates’ areas or business development)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Attention to detail and strong execution skills (you meet deadlines and help others meet theirs)
What We Are Looking For:
- Technical experience at a tech company with strong aptitude and understanding of how to break processes down into technical objects to solve problems.
- Familiarity with a number of cloud technologies and service based architectures
- Excellent communication, listening, and organization skills to solve complex problems and work with teammates across disciplines, as well as across time-zones
- Ability to work in a new market in a fast-growing industry
- An entrepreneurial mindset. Equal comfort with both customer and consumer -focused innovation and SaaS.
- Experience with developing and following through on metrics and goals
- Expertise walking the tight balance between both detail-oriented and big-picture thinking – keeping the future and road map always in mind when working on smaller backend and database tasks.
- A thirst to adapt and learn in order to keep innovating on a cutting edge features
- A hunger for making a difference on climate change
We’d be super pumped, if you also have:
- Experience or familiarity with Python
- Experience working with CI/CD tools and setting up continuous integration pipelines
- A solid understanding of GIS concepts, experience with PostGIS, and remote sensing
- An interest and experience in security concepts / best practices
- Experience working with climate, environmental, or weather-related modeling products
- Experience with data science and machine learning applications
- Experience in managing development of SaaS, B2B or B2G tool.
What we have:
- A growing global web and mobile platform with an active community.
- Opportunities to learn new technologies (e.g. IoT and computer vision) and take responsibility for company initiatives.
- An international team of values-driven, friendly, and smart people (if we do say so ourselves) to work along-side.
- A dedication to make the world a better place.
- A remote team with flexible scheduling.
- Health care and benefit packages available for W2 team members
Why work with ISeeChange?
We are our authentic selves. We’re human – we know that our weaknesses and vulnerabilities matter just as much as our strengths. We engage each other with gratitude, transparency and love. We value community-sourced knowledge, “do no harm” revenue models, and impact-driven work to solve the climate crisis.
How to apply:
Apply here with a statement of interest, resume and an optional link to examples of your work or website.