Part Time, Remote Contractor Role
ISeeChange is a global community and unique social media platform dedicated to connecting communities to each other and their changing environment. We mobilize residents to collect local stories, photos, and weather measurements to inform climate adaptation, mitigation, infrastructure design, and community-driven solutions design. ISeeChange combines community-sourced data with sensor networks to illustrate community-scale climate trends. Cities, engineers, educators, and researchers use this data to build infrastructure, public safety and planning solutions that work best for communities.
ISeeChange has been recognized by TechStars, MIT Solve, Echoing Green, Grist 50 Fixers, and the UN’s Global Innovation Coalition for Change. With users in 118 countries and clients in New Orleans, Miami, Boston, Ontario, Chicago and soon more locations, we are seeking new team members to accelerate our growth in 2022.
We are looking for a second UX Designer who can move seamlessly through a range of skills – from wireframing to designing to testing – and is comfortable leading product design. If you consider yourself more of a UX generalist, this role will suit your curiosity and work experience! This role will gain a strong understanding of the company’s strategy and business goals by working directly with the community outreach team and partner relationship manager. Successful designers in this role will be particularly interested in how design can encourage communication and how to create visually compelling views of community and sensor sourced climate and weather information. This is a part-time contract role, averaging ~20hrs/week, but may vary based on your schedule, experience, and our needs. Generally we are active online between 9am-6pm EST.
The ISC multi-disciplinary team currently consists of a full-time director and 9 remote team members from development, data science, science journalism, urban planning, and community organizing.
The ISC platform uses material design as a basis and has a design system with brand elements and styles. Our team uses Figma primarily to design and iterate.
What you have:
- Experience designing both web and app experiences
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for customer-focused innovation
- Strong background in user experience and confident to handle visual design as needed
- Experience or strong interest in using Figma as your preferred design tool
- Experience or strong interest in user testing at conceptual and interaction detail levels
- Excellent documentation skills including annotating designs, leading hand off to technical teammates and tracking future design opportunities
- Excellent communication, deep listening, and organization skills to solve complex problems and work with teammates across disciplines, as well as across time-zones
- Expertly walk the tight balance between both detail-oriented and big-picture thinking
- A hunger for making a difference
We’d be super pumped, if you also have:
- Able to support the occasional print or marketing design requests
- Experience with working with small teams or start ups
- Experience in designing SaaS, B2B or B2G tools
- Experience or strong interest in designing for accessibility and multiple languages
- Experience or strong interest in working with climate or weather-related content and data
- Experience working on social media platforms or communities
What we have:
- A growing global web and mobile platform with an active community.
- Climate focused business use cases to design solutions around
- Opportunities to learn new technologies (e.g. IoT and AI) and take responsibility for company initiatives.
- An international team of values-driven, friendly, and smart people (if we do say so ourselves) to work along-side
- A dedication to make the world a better place
- A remote team with flexible scheduling and competitive salaries
Why work with ISeeChange?
We are our authentic selves. We’re human – we know that our weaknesses and vulnerabilities matter just as much as our strengths. We engage each other with gratitude, transparency and love. We value community-sourced knowledge, “do no harm” revenue models, and impact-driven work to solve the climate crisis at scale.
How to apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement of interest including why you’d like to design for a climate change focused platform, your resume, and a link to examples of your work or website.